The Weirdest Objects People Ever Found Hidden Inside The Walls Of Their House
Moving into a new house or apartment is an experience often accompanied by the excitement of making an unfamiliar place feel like home. Yet no matter how many pictures we hang, the previous residents of the space seem to always linger in the scuffs on the wall. Or, perhaps, in the spaces behind the wall.
For these homeowners, the spaces between the plaster proved to be a treasure trove of unbelievable oddities, ranging from the fascinating to the deadly. It just goes to show: you never know what could be lurking behind the walls inside the place you call home…
1. Mummified Cats: Live cats were once sealed into the walls of homes in order to protect the occupants from evil spirits. This practice was popular in 17th-century England, and there have been dozens of reports of mummified cats tumbling out of walls all over the UK.
2. A Live Missile: In April 2011, a Wisconsin man was remodeling his bathroom when he discovered a 20-inch Korean missile with a five-inch explosive head in his wall. According to neighbors, the home’s previous owner was a Korean War veteran who liked to bring home “souvenirs”.
3. Hidden Cameras: There are always risks when it comes to renting a home, and this couldn’t have been truer for one Australian couple. They were horrified to find dozens of hidden cameras in the walls of their rental home.
4. A $15M Painting: Two brothers discovered that their late father hid a priceless Norman Rockwell painting (right) in the walls of his Vermont home in order to keep it from their mother during their divorce and hung a self-painted fake (left) in its place.
5. Hanged Army Men: During a renovation, a homeowner was delighted to find a number of army men figurines hidden in one of the walls. However, this find turned morbid quickly as he discovered that the figurines were all dangling from strings tied around their necks. Yikes!
6. A Missing Boy: In 2007, four-year-old Ricky Chekevdia and his mother, Shannon Wilfong, disappeared amid a heated custody battle. After two years of searching, Ricky and Shannon were discovered in a hidden room built into the wall of Shannon’s mother’s bedroom.
7. Lots of Snakes: When an expecting Idaho couple moved into a new home in 2009, they couldn’t wait to hear the pitter-patter of little feet. What they got instead was the hiss of hundreds of venomous snakes slithering up from the nest below their house and through every crevice of their home.
8. A 100-Year-Old Ouija Board: Ouija boards are creepy on their own, but one found in an abandoned house? Downright terrifying. According to the construction worker who made the discovery, the board was concealed in a wall and was positioned with its writing upside down. Let’s hope he left it where he found it…
9. Lots of Bees: When brown ooze begins pouring out of the walls, it becomes a question of who to call next: an exterminator or an exorcist. For one Colorado homeowner, it was the former, as a whopping 60 thousand bees had taken up residence in her walls.
10. A Da Vinci Mural: It’s one thing to have the wealth and influence to commission Leonardo Da Vinci to paint a mural of the Battle of Anghiari, but to then commission another artist to cover that mural? Insanity. Luckily, artist #2 felt the same and constructed a fake wall to hide Da Vinci’s painting.
11. Action Comics #1: One of the most valuable comic books of all time, this issue is known for featuring the first appearance of Superman. Rather than sitting on someone’s bookshelf, however, the comic book (below) was found behind a wall and sold for an astonishing $175,000 at auction.
12. Lots of Bats: When a Canadian man discovered hundreds of bats living in his attic and walls, he worked tirelessly to sealed every entry point. Unfortunately, bats like to return to the same place every year, and every single one managed to crawl their way back inside the home.
Whoever thought that a simple wall could be the perfect hiding place for so many strange and surprising things? Maybe there really is something behind those bumps we hear in the night…
Share these weird and wonderful finds with your friends below!